Santa is preparing his sleigh; Christmas trees are donning their decorations and classrooms are filling with festive cheer. That’s right everyone, the countdown to Christmas has begun! So, here at Lizard Learning, we have created this fun Christmas Advent Calendar to help you and your students count down to that all-important day.
Advent calendars are a popular Christmas tradition, and they are packed full of learning opportunities and handy uses too.
This Christmas Advent Calendar can be used in a variety of ways in the lead-up to Christmas. For example, you can use it to develop students’ understanding of number order, to enhance their number recognition or to practise counting. You could also use the advent calendar as a daily calendar to help your students keep track of all their Christmas events. Mark on the calendar events such as school plays, carol services or school holidays.
The Christmas Advent Calendar can also be used as a mindfulness activity. On each day the calendar displays a number and a small festive image which students can colour in. So, at points in the day when your students need a little bit of time to calm down and feel grounded, this short colouring activity is perfect. You could try it after a busy lunchtime or at the start of the day to settle your class.
How to use the Christmas Advent Calendar:
- Download the pdf and print the required number of copies.
- Give each student an advent calendar at the start of December and explain how and why advent calendars are used.
- Allow your students some time to colour the calendar each day in the lead up to Christmas.
Extension Activities and Fun Ideas:
- A team effort. If you prefer you could use one advent calendar and take it in turns as a class to colour the days. Why not change your print settings, enlarge the calendar and then display it in class?
- Some Elf on the Shelf mischief. If your class is lucky/unlucky enough to be visited by one of those mischievous Christmas elves, then you may find your advent calendars all torn up! Challenge your students to piece the calendar back together like a puzzle. This will get them thinking about number order and position.
- Personalise your calendars with some random acts of kindness. A great way to spread the festive spirit is by showing love and kindness to those around us. Before the countdown begins ask your students to think of a random act of kindness for each day in the lead up to Christmas. Activities could include things such as helping at home, visiting a relative, playing with a new friend, helping to tidy up the school. They can write their acts of kindness on to their calendar and use it to remind them throughout advent.
- Challenge-a-day. If there is already heaps of love and kindness bouncing around your classroom, then you could also use the advent calendar as a way for students to challenge and motivate themselves. Each day they can assign themselves a challenge in relation to their personal targets and then write it onto their personalised calendar.
All free resources are updated fortnightly. If this freebie is not available visit HERE to grab the latest free resource on us!
Never miss a classroom activity we create. The latest activity has been added to the Lizard Learning Club PLUS Membership.